Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Chapter 2

Well, this chapter was quite depressing and also sadly realistic.

"I am Stephen Dedalus". These are the words that our hero Stephen utters as he becomes a teenager in this section of the novel. The world around Stephen is rapidly falling apart--his family is descending into poverty, he is feeling more alienated from those around him, his rampant sexuality both confuses and intrigues him, and his father is becoming an alcoholic. As all this occurs, I admire Stephen's desperate efforts to solidify his own identity.

A difficult time showered with hormones and novel urges, adolescence seems to be rapidly hitting Stephen in the face. Although many sons find role models in their fathers and other close men, it is a bit difficult for Stephen. His father, Simon Dedalus, cannot seem to support himself or his family, nor can he find a stable relationship. Uncle Charles, originally a kind man, has become crazy and unreliable. Stephen is unhappy with his changing relationship with the world around him, but he is also unhappy with himself.

I believe that the lack of a father figure impacts Stephen quite a lot. Looking at his own father, who flirts with all the barmaids and other girls, his own thoughts on his growing sexuality and lustful desires become muddled. Stephen's love is fascinating. Unlike the love life of normal protagonists in other novels, his love life is incomprehensible, awkward, and filled with tension. Joyce is careful not to set a definition for love, but instead allows Stephen to find his own definition. In short, his love is human.

Throughout all these changes, Stephen is deeply disturbed. How can he juggle this seemingly unsolvable mess of hormones, finances, and passion? The simple answer: he can't. And neither can most (and dare I say all) adolescents. I'd personally like to see Stephen's interests develop more (especially in literature, art, and religion) and how he will find his eventual solace within his life.

2 comments:

  1. You bring up a lot of interesting points John, most notably those about Stephen's lack of stability. What I find intriguing about this, however, is the fact that he is able to find some peace and composure in his art (whether it be the poem he writes for E.C. or the play he works on at his new school). Going back to the title of this novel (A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man) it is understood that art is an important component of this young man's life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your points! I think that I completely agree that Stephen is overwhelmed by these various things bombarding him all of a sudden. A part of growth, especially in "heroes" has to do with the acquirement of new knowledge. And in this case, I think Stephen has become disillusioned about the people he used to look up to (his father and uncle). This causes a break down of the way he views things, furthering his metamorphosis into a young man.

    ReplyDelete